The aim for NUDA is to become something in between the UK Urban Design Group and Urban Design Forum, at the same time establishing itself as a direct link between the economic life in Norway and urban design/architectural companies abroad. Also, most important, is the promotion of urban design towards potential students.
As a tool within city planning, urban design is an important contribution amongst the other professional .fields engaged in our cities and urban life. The international growth and interest in urban design has not yet reached the Nordic countries, and though some courses are taught at some of the universities in Sweden and Norway, there is little knowledge about urban design as a profession, and what it holds as competence. This makes it quite difficult for those few educated within the field to contribute with their specific and qualified knowledge.
The intent of NUDA is to:
- introduce Urban Design as a necessity within the Nordic countries
- establish the historical background about Urban Design, how it came about
- inform about the growth of Urban Design in the UK, USA, Australia, New Zealand and Asia, and how it has become a necessary tool for city development
- convince decision-makers about the necessity of Urban Design as a competence of importance which differentiates from other professions concerned about our cities and urban life
- inform about the rapid interest in Urban Design education, and the establishment of Urban Design as compulsory courses at several international Universities.
Over recent years, things have changed, and there is now higher quality in our cities, but there is still a long way to go before one can define Norway as a innovative country within city planning and design in general. I am hopeful that NUDA will make a very creative and positive on this path.